Monday, January 9, 2012

A View on the New Edition of D&D #DNDNEXT

A new edition of D&D was inevitable. Currently being dubbed the "next edition", the 40th Anniversary of the game is in 2 years. Ample time for 4e fanboys to finish their campaigns, and plenty of time for WotC to play-test and finalize what may possibly be the Ne Plus Ultra edition of the game. I'm looking forward to it.

I love D&D, I call my game D&D, but it's basically the BETA rules of DCC RPG with a couple rules from various OSR games such as LotFP & S&W, which means it is essentially a bit of 3e and 0e with some house rules, made up, forgotten and used on the fly. That's how I roll, and how I plan to run my home campaign for now on. There is nothing wrong with that, and Mike Mearl's statement validates it (not that we need it):

"We want a game that rises above differences of play styles, campaign settings, and editions, one that takes the fundamental essence of D&D and brings it to the forefront of the game. In short, we want a game that is as simple or complex as you please, its action focused on combat, intrigue, and exploration as you desire. We want a game that is unmistakably D&D, but one that can easily become your D&D, the game that you want to run and play."

D&D wasn't my only game. When 3.0 first came out, it only marked my return to the hobby. (I started playing D&D with the Holmes edition in 1979.) These new rules were so robust and complete, I didn't want to learn another game, so I stuck to just d20 varients to get my super-spy, sci-fi, horror & super-heroes in. It worked fine. Then I started to play games other than d20. While I whole-heartedly adopted 4e, ran some RPGA "Living" campaigns and Encounters, and honestly enjoyed 4e for a couple years. This helped me refine what I wanted in an RPG. I felt something was wrong with 4e, something that I've never been able to pin-point, much-less explain in a blog post. Then Essentials came out, it changed the rules and made previous books obsolete, emphasised the web-based materials and basically forced me to look elsewhere to get "my D&D." Then I discovered that Older Editions (OSR) were not only being played, but being supported through un-official channels and retro-clones. I fell in love with the game, all over again. For the past year I've been playing the D&D I want to play, and it ain't 4e, it ain't even really 3e. My previous obsession with "official" rules were gone, my obsession became playing the game I wanted to play, and access to Older Editions (official and their simulacra) gave me a robust toolbox to do this. 4e basically forced you to play one way.

The Next Edition promises another set of these tools. To officially use as I see fit. And I'm stoked.

You can cool it now...

Posted via email from Dak, D.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment