Wednesday, January 18, 2012

GM Questionaire

1. If you had to pick a single invention in a game you were most proud of what would it be?

I haven’t been very innovative, apparently. Most of the things I thought I came up with were “been there, done that.” Maybe this: I don’t use a DM screen, so I roll multiple dice and never tell anyone which is the one that matters.

2. When was the last time you GMed?

Last Thursday

3. When was the last time you played?

About a year ago.

4. Give us a one-sentence pitch for an adventure you haven't run but would like to.

The adventurers get ship-wrecked on a mysterious island...is it going to be Gilligan's Island? or LOST?

5. What do you do while you wait for players to do things?

Get another beer, pee, or eat.

6. What, if anything, do you eat while you play?

Whatever junk-food my players bring to the game, or dinner I make myself.

7. Do you find GMing physically exhausting?

Not really. I’m pretty amped when I GM. Does this mean I can GM harder?

8. What was the last interesting (to you, anyway) thing you remember a PC you were running doing?

Me, and a couple other characters, destroyed an artifact we were actually supposed to retrieve. Um, basically doing the job for the bad-guys, destroying the world--seriously.

9. Do your players take your serious setting and make it unserious? Vice versa? Neither?

Nah, I GM a pretty gonzo game, but no one has tried to break it.. I stick to Sword & Sorcery tropes and try to keep things scary, they seem to really enjoy it. There are some stupid PC names, but I tend to make stupid names myself.

10. What do you do with goblins?

I re-skinned them as little peon lizard-like people. I don’t give my monsters proper names, I let the party name them.

11. What was the last non-RPG thing you saw that you converted into game material (background, setting, trap, etc.)?

Oh, I do this with all kinds of movies. The last movie I ripped off was Rare Exports (dude, check it out.) It features hordes of naked santas and a giant horned end-monster. It was my X-mas/New Years adventure special.

12. What's the funniest table moment you can remember right now?

A halfling forgot about a trap, and sprung it, getting himself teleported across the house into a death-trap, all while the naked santas were invading their stronghold. Someone had to run across the house to let him out or he’d die from some poisonous gas.

13. What was the last game book you looked at--aside from things you referenced in a game--why were you looking at it?

Isle of the Unknown from LotFP/McKinney, I’m thinking of having the adventurers get ship-wrecked on this island.

14. Who's your idea of the perfect RPG illustrator?

Bill Sienkiewicz, I wish he’d do RPG art..

15. Does your game ever make your players genuinely afraid?

I’d like to think so. I really don’t know. I do try and get players invested in their characters, and try to kill them.

16. What was the best time you ever had running an adventure you didn't write? (If ever)

The past year has been a blast, and it’s been mostly pre-written mods. I hack a bit. My players aren’t afraid of breaking modules, and I encourage it. They broke my X-mas adventure. They never went to the dungeon, so I brought the monsters to them.

17. What would be the ideal physical set up to run a game in?

On a hill, over-looking a desert. Or in the middle of a dry lake bed.

18. If you had to think of the two most disparate games or game products that you like what would they be?

Drinking UNO & Video Games

19. If you had to think of the most disparate influences overall on your game, what would they be?

80’s adventure movies (Buckaroo Banzai & Big Trouble in Little China) and Glen Cook/Black Company novels.

20. As a GM, what kind of player do you want at your table?

I like newbies that are just learning the game, they don’t have any expectations. Experienced players that respect and enjoy “different” GM styles are awesome too.

21. What's a real life experience you've translated into game terms?

Sports, specifically hockey. Skating & shooting pucks, defending, etc. I don’t think I even wrote it down though.

22. Is there an RPG product that you wish existed but doesn't?

Real healing potions, is this what you mean? An electronic dice roller that doesn’t suck would be awesome.

23. Is there anyone you know who you talk about RPGs with who doesn't play? How do those conversations go?

My GF, she kind of gets it, is sort of interested, but intimidated. That’s mostly my fault because sometimes I assume that some tropes are universally known. She’s highly educated, and I’m assuming again, so she thinks role-playing belongs in a classroom as a school exercise of some sort, instead of a game or lets pretend. This is where the assumed tropes cause problems. She's mostly shy.

Posted via email from Dak, D.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment