May 7th is coming up faster than I expect. I'm somewhat prepared. I know the rules. I have an adventure that I've read and think I'm prepared for. But there are few things I have not done. I need a character sheet. None of the ones I've found do it for me, so I might have to start from scratch. There are also a few things I'm not sure how I want to do. Pre-made characters? Or create new ones on the spot. There are also a few rules things I want to iron out, but I want to see what the group wants to do about it. I want the game to be very cooperative, but at the same time I want to make sure we play the game I want to play. I AM the DM!
I recently picked up a copy of OSRIC, man it is good. The afterword was very inspiring. Stuart Marshal had five pieces of advice that I want to share here (I'll be paraphrasing)
- Play it FAST. Roll handfulls of dice.
- Skip the boring bits. Fudge to make things faster. Place the appropriate burden on the appropriate side of the screen.
- Making Characters is FAST. Fights are Furious. Characters will die, make a new one! Players aren't entitled to be hero, they can be heroes if they desire, it's not a right. What that also means to me is that characters aren't automatically Super Heroes but they can be if they play smart and desire it.
- Don't tolerate dithering! Act, deliberately and quickly.
- The DM creates the world. The players create the characters that want something from it. The characters have to go out and get it, the burden of a good story is on everyone, not just the DM.
No comments:
Post a Comment